BMW Rider Academy offers a variety of courses to help you advance your riding skills and improve your safety on the road. The better equipped you are to ride your motorcycle, the safer and more enjoyable your rides will be.
How to book a courseBook your seat and improve your driving knowledge and awareness and earn Vitality Drive points.
BMW Rider Academy is situated at Zwartkops Raceway. Centrally located between Johannesburg and Pretoria, 26km away from Kyalami on the R55 towards Pretoria West.
If you would like to get in touch directly call 012 522 2281 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to helping you Make Life A Ride.
About the courseThe courses cover practical on-road driving, with an instructor carefully watching every manoeuvre.
The Discovery Insure Safety course is a full-day course which includes a Skidpan session, Defensive Driving and Hi-Jack Prevention.
The Refresher course
This course is perfect for equipping riders who plan to, or recently purchased a motorcycle with the correct riding skills and techniques to improve their safety. Riders who need to improve their confidence on the open road will also benefit from this course. The course consists of theory in the classroom covering safety aspects and defensive riding tips on various scenarios encountered on our roads, and practical lessons. All training takes place in a controlled environment.
You'll earn 150 Vitality Drive points a month for 24 months for completing the course.
This course is offered at the Zwartkops Raceway in Pretoria West.
The Novice course
This course is an introduction to motorcycling, it is designed to help you learn the essential elements every rider must know to #MakeLifeARide. First in theory then in practice, in a controlled environment, under the watchful eye of a coach.
This course is suitable for new riders with limited or no riding experience. This intensive course provides theoretical and practical training, covering all the essential elements of riding that prepare new riders for the road. A G 310 R training motorcycle, helmet & gloves can be provided. All practical training takes place in a controlled environment.
No license required and all attendees must be able to ride a bicycle before enrolling for the novice course.
For this full-day course you'll earn 150 Vitality Drive points a month for 24 months for completing the course.
Need to knowProduct rules and terms and conditions apply. Find out all you need to know about the BMW Driving Experience's terms and conditions.
The course is offered by BMW (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd ("BMW"). Participation in the course shall be subject to the following terms and conditions:
- The confirmed booking date shall be binding on the participant. BMW may, in its sole discretion, reschedule the booking to another available date upon written request by the participant, but shall not be obliged to do so. BMW shall reschedule the course at no cost, if the date is changed at least 10 working days prior to the start date of the training. In the event that a change of date occurs within 10 working days of the start day of the course, BMW reserves the right to charge an administration fee. In the event of a cancellation, the cancellation terms as set out in clause 8 shall apply.
- BMW shall furthermore have the right to reschedule the booking in the event of the minimum attendance requirement not having been met or upon the occurrence of any unforeseen and/or unpredictable circumstances which are beyond the reasonable control of BMW, including but not limited to events of force majeure, natural disasters, fires, floods, war, riots, industrial action, acts or omissions of any government authority, machinery damage or breakdown, essential supply difficulties and irremediable non-performance by third parties. In such cases, BMW may offer the participants alternative course dates or a full refund. Refunds may take up to 4-6 weeks to be processed.
- Training will be done on private property and no motorcycle learners or license will be required to participate in the Novice / Refresher course. A 250cc training motorcycle may be supplied for the course, regardless of having a motorcycle license. For safety reasons, a participant is required to be a competent bicycle rider before attending the Novice course. In the event that a course needs to be rescheduled due to lack of balance on 2 wheels, 50 percent of the course fee will be forfeited.
- Participants will be required to bring their own motorcycle and gear for the following courses: Proficient safety skills, Advanced cornering techniques and Off-road courses.
- In the event of renting a BMW Motorcycle for the course, the participant shall be required to register timeously at the registration venue and produce his or her original valid motorcycle license at registration prior to the start of the course. In the event of failing to produce a valid original driving license, the participant shall not be entitled to participate in the course and the course fee shall be forfeited.
- Course times must be strictly adhered to and participants arriving more than 30 (THIRTY) minutes after the commencement time shall not be permitted to participate in the course.
- The course fees will be forfeited and re-bookings shall only be permitted upon receipt of payment for the new booking.
- Participants are requested to allow adequate travelling time to arrive at the registration and course venues on time.
- The cost of the course fee shall be paid to BMW no later than 10 working days prior to the start date of the course. Unpaid bookings cannot be confirmed until payment has been made and unpaid bookings will be automatically cancelled 7 days prior to the course. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, payment must be made to the following account: As a reference please state your name / company name on the deposit slip internet banking, and
- Please fax / e-mail the proof of payment together with your course date to 086 490 5381/ In the event that payment has not been made as aforesaid, the participant shall not be entitled to participate in the course.
- The participant voluntarily participates in the course and is aware of the risks, dangers and perils attendant upon the nature of this event.
- It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that he/she has enrolled for the correct course in line with his/her skill level and that the minimum requirement is met.
- The participant participates in the course entirely at his or her own risk, and will be required to sign an indemnity in favor of BMW upon registration. In the event that the participant is younger than 18 years, the parent/legal guardian will be required to sign an indemnity on behalf of the participant. Participants younger than 16 years are not permitted on the course.
- The participant shall be obliged to behave with utmost discipline during the attendance of the course. The instructors and/or any person authorised to do so by BMW shall be required and entitled to give instructions to the participant for the entire duration of the course.
- In the event that a participant does not comply with any of these provisions relating to conduct, or in the event of the participant having consumed any intoxicating substance(s) or exhibiting any unacceptable or unreasonable behaviour, BMW shall, in its sole discretion be entitled to exclude the participant from participation in the course and the course fees shall be forfeited.
The course is restricted to participants only and the attendance of spectators shall only be permitted on special request and upon prior arrangement. Spectators are not permitted in the theory classrooms and an additional fee will be levied for lunch and refreshments.
In the event of a participant wishing to cancel a booking, the following time limits shall apply and cancellation fees shall be due and payable by the participant as follows:
- 10 - 7 working days or more prior to the start of the course - no fee.
- 6 - 4 working days prior to the start of the course - 50% of the course fee.
- 3 - 0 working days prior to the start of the course or in the case of nonattendance - 100% of the course fee.
- Cancellation must be made in writing in order to be effective.
The time limits set out above refer to the time of receipt of the written cancellation by BMW. BMW shall be entitled to offset the cancellation fee payable against payment of course fees already made by the participant. If applicable, the course fee, alternatively the balance thereof, shall be reimbursed to the participant. Vouchers issued by BMW are valid for a period of 1 year from date of issue.
Booking confirmation:The booking can only be confirmed once the participant has completed all the details required on the booking advice, has signed acceptance of these terms and conditions, has complied with the payment requirements.