With flight bookings now open, don’t miss your opportunity to book a well-deserved holiday or an overdue visit with family. There are many ways to stretch your travel budget and to save money on flights. Here’s how…
It’s commonly accepted that travelling by air is much safer than travelling by car. You also save time and avoid extra stress to get to your destination. There’s no need to break the bank when booking flights. Here are some easy ways that you can save big on your travel costs:
1. Book early
- Booking flights earlier usually means that you can secure a better rate from the carrier. So, when you book a flight early, it is likely that you will get a better deal than when you book your flight at short notice.
- Also, keep an eye out for special booking offers. For example, Vitality recently had offers available through its travel partners that open up travel bookings to Vitality members earlier than to the general public. So sign up for notifications or newsletters to get notified of any special offers to book early. It will give you the chance to choose the best seat while you save for being an early bird.
2. Travel light
- Check the maximum weight that you can check in for free directly with the airline and weigh your luggage before you leave home. That way, you won’t be charged an extra fee for any excess weight above the maximum luggage weight, which is usually one carry-on bag and 20kg for checked-in luggage.
- Avoid being forced to check in a bag and paying extra costs by travelling light. This will also leave you with some room to pack things you buy on your trip.
3. Join a rewards programme that offers flight discounts
- There are programmes or benefits linked to credit cards that offer discounts on flights and accommodation.
- Investigate your options and make the most of these benefits. For example, Discovery Bank clients with Vitality Money get savings of up to 40% on domestic flights, while Vitality Health members save up to 35% on domestic flights. Clients with both Vitality Money and Vitality Health can therefore get a maximum flight saving of up to 75%. Discovery Bank clients can also book international flights with Emirates and Qantas and get discounts of up to 75% with Vitality Health and Vitality Money.
There are many rewards that you build up during the year through programmes such as Vitality Money that can help you pay for your travel expenses. With Discovery Bank, you earn Discovery Miles based on how well you manage your money and you can use your Discovery Miles to pay for your flight, accommodation and car hire bookings either in part or in full within the Vitality travel partner network.
4. Pack your own snacks
- Many airlines sell only light snacks and cooldrinks. However, due to COVID-19, airlines are not selling any food or snacks other than bottled water during flights.
- Buying food at the airport can be expensive and is not always healthy. So, it’s better to pack your owns snacks or lunch. You’ll not only save money, but you’ll also have a healthy snack that you know you’ll enjoy. Visit Vitality At Home for a range of healthy eating tips, eating out safely during the pandemic, how to turn your favourite meals into healthy meals and some recipes you can use to prepare your flight snack or delicious holiday meals.
5. Skip the parking fees
- Parking fees at airports can take a big bite out of your travel budget. Make skipping the parking fees part of your travel plans and arrange for a friend to drop you off at the airport.
- You can also book an Uber trip, which often comes with a discount through your insurance or loyalty programme. So, get to the airport safe and on time with up to 25% off Uber trips with Vitality Drive and Vitality Money giving you up to 20% of your Uber spend back in Discovery Miles. That will mean your trip, especially if it is a longer one, will cost you much less than the parking at the airport.
Wherever you travel, consider travel safety regulations. Please visit the Discovery COVID-19 Hub for more about staying safe and healthy when you travel. Limits, terms and conditions apply. Please see the full details of these here.
This article is meant only as information and should not be taken as financial advice. For tailored financial advice, please contact your financial adviser.
Are you looking to upgrade your bank and join Discovery Bank, the bank that rewards you for managing your money well? Or are your already a happy Discovery Bank client looking to upgrade your accounts for even better rewards? Either way, take a look at our wide range of banking products with personalised features and exclusive benefits designed with you in mind and find the one that is right for you.
The simple act of booking a flight and hopping on a plane has become a distant memory these days. Fortunately, air travel is back – and with 72-hour early access to bookings for all Vitality members and Discovery Bank Priority Fast Track, you’ll be jet-setting in no time.
Say the words “interest rates” and many will give you a glazed look. But it’s worth your while to understand what interest rates are and how they work, because when you save, these rates help determine how much you end up with!
Ready for some great deals? Black Friday and Cyber Monday are just around the corner and Discovery Bank is here to help you to spend wisely, so you can make the most of it. Here’s how.