In South Africa, less than 1% of all household employees have access to private healthcare. Even with minimum wage, most household employees are unable to cover essentials such as food, housing and transport, making access to private healthcare out of reach.
South Africa’s public healthcare system is overburdened. This means that our household employees, those who we trust with our homes and families, have to wait in long queues for treatment or wait until they become seriously ill to get medical care.
Affordable primary healthcare from R249
From R249 a month, Discovery Primary Care for household employees allows you to provide your domestic worker, gardener, driver, caregiver or nanny with access to basic private healthcare. The benefits include:
- Unlimited nurse visits at a pharmacy in our network
- Unlimited GP visits when referred by a nurse and two network GP visits each year without being referred by a nurse
- Cover for medical procedures in a GP's rooms
- Cover for acute prescribed medicine on the medicine list
- One eye test at a network optometrist and one pair of glasses or contact lenses each year
- Dentist visits, fillings and tooth removals at a network dentist
- One flu vaccine each year
- HIV management
- One wellness screening each year.
How Discovery Primary Care for household employees works
- Activate your Discovery Primary Care for household employees policy on the Discovery app or website
- There is a three-month general waiting period from the membership start date, this means that if the policy is activated on 1 March 2020, your household employee will be able to access their benefits from 1 June 2020
- Your employees don’t have to pay any providers and claim back, there are also no co-payments. All they have to do is find a healthcare provider in our network, and make an appointment – we take care of the admin and the claims. Find out more about our network providers.
Optional emergency hospital cover
Discovery Primary Care for household employees is not a medical aid and does not include hospital cover but for an additional amount of R63 per month you are able to add the Trauma Benefit. This includes access to emergency private healthcare services for a range of traumatic events at any private hospital. You have two options, for R63 you can cover your employees for R300 000 cover or R88 for R1 million cover.
Find out more about Primary Care for household employees.
You’ve built a solid business that’s growing day by day – how do you ensure it keeps growing even when unexpected events occur?
Discovery Primary Care is not a medical scheme. The cover is not the same as that of a medical scheme and is not intended to be a substitute for medical scheme membership. Discovery Primary Care is offered by Discovery Life Limited, registration number 1966/003901/06, a registered long-term insurer and an authorised financial services and registered credit provider NCR Reg No. NCRCP 355555. Discovery Vitality (Proprietary) Limited, registration number: 1999/007736/07 is an authorised financial services provider. Product rules, terms and conditions apply. Discovery Primary Care is administered by Discovery Health (Proprietary) Limited, registration number 1997/013480/07, an authorised financial services provider.