Discovery Employee Volunteer Programme
Volunteerism in action
Discovery CSI aims to deliver a world class Employee Volunteering Programme (EVP). This is in line with our core purpose and ambition 2018 to be the best insurance organisation globally and be a force for social good. The role of Discovery’s EVP is to encourage ‘a spirit of volunteerism’ as a way of strengthening South African society. The programme is a reflection of Discovery’s values and it leverages off the rich collective resources of each employee participating in the programme. The vision for Discovery is to deliver a ‘world class’ EVP by 2018 by maximising on the skills and knowledge base of employees, training the volunteers, leveraging off Discovery’s IP, and implementing a country-wide EVP that is inclusive of all staff.
In order to deliver on a world class EVP, the CSI team has formulated an ambitious growth plan leading up to 2018 comprising the following key objectives:
- To help change the lives of over 100 000 children
- To build at least three healthy communities through strategic partnerships
- To implement a world-class high performance system to ensure the efficient and effective administration of our EVP
- To implement a leading social programme for employee volunteer champions
- Provide strong and effective leadership
- Establish an effective marketing plan to promote the EVP
Discovery Corporate Sustainability’s (DS) vision in terms of CSI is to improve access to exceptional quality healthcare for the communities in which we operate by investing in centres of excellence, ensuring we impact 1,000,000 direct and indirect beneficiaries by 2018. The Discovery Employee Volunteer Programme (EVP) is well placed to add value and deliver on the ambition through a wide range of ongoing strategic activities.
Discovery’s EVP is designed to encourage a spirit of volunteerism as a way of strengthening South African society. Our programme is a reflection of our values and it leverages the rich collective resources we have in each employee participating in the programme.
Business Unit Challenge and Adopt a Project Programme
This year CSI merged both the Adopt a Project and Business Unit Initiatives to consolidate and ensure maximum impact from these structures.
With the merger we prioritised the following:
- Regrouping and identifying active champions across the business including regional offices
- Building strong committees that would be reflective of a fully representative and integrated team
- Empower and up skill committees so that they operate more effectively and efficiently.
Building and Empowering EVP Champions
Currently we have 67 champions working in over 20 projects impacting over 25 communities and reaching over 25 000 people. Champions play an integral part in ensuring employee activation across business. They help drive initiatives within their areas and ensure that we meet the mandate of encouraging all Discovery employees to offer their time and service to the broader communities that we support.
Currently we have the annual EVP Forum where all the champions gather to share knowledge and expertise and also gain knowledge from experts.
We are currently extending support in the following areas:
- Working with Discovery People on an empowerment programme that will incorporate strategic planning, presentation skills, event planning and report writing
- Team building activities
- Exposure to local CSI volunteer conferences
- Innovation Hub – selected champions to assist with innovative ideas