FOR ONE DAY ONLY: your flu vaccine comes to you!
Discovery has partnered with Uber to bring your flu vaccine to you! So if you're too busy to go out and get vaccinated, you can have a flu shot brought right to your doorstep. On Friday, 22 April 2016 between 10:00 and 15:00, members who live in selected areas in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Cape Town or Port Elizabeth can have a qualified Discovery-accredited Dis-Chem nurse arrive at their location within minutes, ready to administer the flu vaccine for up to five patients per visit.
How it works
- From 10:00 to 15:00 on Friday, 22 April 2016 only, you will be able to request a flu vaccination to your doorstep using Uber.
- Not yet an Uber user? Sign up with Uber here.
- All you have to do is open the Uber app and select the UberHEALTH icon which will be visible on 22 April 2016 only. This will ensure only R100 is billed to your credit card linked to your Uber account for the nurse’s drive to you.
- Then, set your pickup location, and request a ride.
- Within minutes, a qualified Discovery accredited Dis-Chem nurse will arrive to your location, ready to administer flu vaccines. The nurse can administer up to five flu vaccines per visit at no extra cost.
While the flu vaccination will be free, R100 will be charged directly to your Uber account to cover the cost of the nurse coming to you.
Terms and conditions
- Activation will last for one day only – 22 April 2016
- Flu shots will only be available in selected areas of Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban
- You must be an Uber user to request your flu shot on demand. Be sure to sign up here
- You must be 18 years or older
- Nurses can administer up to five individual vaccinations at one visit.
Demand will be through the roof. Please be patient and keep trying! If you are unable to request a flu shot, please contact your healthcare professional or visit an accredited facility in the Vitality Wellness Network to have the vaccination done.
Frequently Asked Questions about the flu vaccination
In South Africa, the best time to get your flu vaccine is before the flu season sets in, and before the virus spreads or as soon as the vaccine becomes available. If you miss this period, the vaccine can still be taken at any time during the winter season.
Flu viruses change frequently, and when they change, the previous vaccine is no longer effective. Therefore, the content of the vaccine is changed each year, depending on the year’s particular flu viruses. For full protection, a person needs to receive a dose of vaccine before the flu outbreak begins.
There are certain circumstances where a person should not have a flu vaccination. This includes people who have had a severe allergic reaction to a flu vaccine in the past and people who have a severe allergy to eggs. Children younger than six months should not have a flu vaccination. If you are unsure or have any questions, you should speak to your healthcare professional.
Flu vaccination has been proven to be the most effective way of preventing infection and reducing flu-related hospital admissions. Flu vaccination continues to offer benefits when given at any time during the flu season but the ideal time for vaccination is before the season starts. It takes the body about two weeks to develop antibodies against the flu virus.
Side effects are usually not serious and will generally disappear on their own in a day or two. The most common side effects are mild pain, redness and swelling of the skin at the injection site. Other possible side effects include fever, feeling unwell, headaches, muscle and joint pain.
Vaccinate and earn Vitality points!
Members with Vitality can earn 1 000 Vitality points for having a flu vaccination.
Are you new to Uber?
If you're new to Uber, sign up and enter the promo code UBERHEALTHSA to enjoy your first trip free up to R150 before 22 April!
Frequently asked questions
What is Uber?
Uber seamlessly connects riders with drivers through its app. You have to sign up to request a ride. The Uber app will automatically pick up your location and show you approximately how far your driver is from you. You can even choose your preferred vehicle class. With Uber, all pickups are on demand and drivers arrive within minutes.
How do I sign up for Uber?
It’s really easy to use Uber. You need to download the app on your iPhone, Android, Windows Phone or BlackBerry 7 smartphone. If you don’t have one of these devices, you can access Uber on their mobi site, m.uber.com