We’re making your ‘Eat this, not that’ choice even easier with the new HealthyFood Switch app!
Most processed and ready-made foods contain too much added salt, sugar, fat or saturated fat in portion sizes that are much larger than we need. Nutrition labels on packaged foods are meant to educate us, but many of us struggle to interpret them. Even if we do, it’s not always easy to compare our choice and be sure we’ve picked the best option. To help, Vitality and The George Institute are excited to introduce a cutting-edge, free mobile app that will change the way you look at food, anywhere, anytime!
HealthyFood Switch knows what’s best for you
The HealthyFood Switch app offers easy-to-understand information about the packaged food products you buy. Vitality has integrated this free app into our HealthyFood benefit by not just offering cash back on thousands of healthy foods at Pick n Pay and Woolworths, but also by helping you make informed decisions, straight from the supermarket aisle! This closes the loop between consumer awareness and access to healthy options, inspiring you to buy and eat more nutritious foods, right at the point of decision-making.
It’s now fast and simple to choose healthier options – here’s how to get started
The HealthyFood Switch app encourages better choices by telling you about healthier alternatives. Joining is easy! Just follow these simple steps:
- Download the HealthyFood Switch app from the App Store on your iPhone or, if you are an Android smartphone user, from the Google Play Store.
- Scan the barcode of a packaged food item in-store using the camera on your smartphone.
- Learn about your choice from the information available in two modes:
- Health Star ratings give you an idea of how healthy a product is overall from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food.
- Traffic Light ratings tell you if a product is low (green), medium (orange) or high (red) in four key food components – salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat.
- View a list of healthier alternatives to the item you scanned so you can switch where available.
- Save your healthy favourites and share your personal lists with friends and family.
So revolutionise the way you shop and be one of the first to try this free and exciting new app – download HealthyFood Switch today!