The Discovery Health Medical Scheme is an independent non-profit entity governed by the Medical Schemes Act, and regulated by the Council for Medical Schemes. It is administered by a separate company, Discovery Health (Pty) Ltd, an authorised financial services provider.
Streamlining your Discovery details on your Smartphone
Digital cards give you access to your Discovery Health Medical Scheme membership card in a digital format on your smartphone device.
This is a safe and secure way to store, access and view your details. It serves the same purpose as the plastic cards except they are always kept up to date in real time with your membership status.
As a Discovery Health Medical Scheme member, you can use your digital card when you visit a healthcare professional as they will use your details on the card to identify you and confirm your Discovery Health Medical Scheme membership. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can also store this card on the Passbook app.
What are the requirements?
For iPhone and iPod Touch, you need to use an iPhone (3GS and up) or iPod Touch 4th Generation upward.
- You must have iOS 7 software or more recent
- Passbook application on your iPhone or iPod Touch
- Latest version of the Discovery app downloaded to your iPhone. You can download it from the App Store
- You must have an active membership of Discovery Health Medical Scheme
- You will need to register on our website.
For Android smartphone, you need version 2.3 or later.
- Latest version of the Discovery app downloaded to your Android device. You can download it from Google Play
How can I view my digital cards?
- You will need to have the latest version of the Discovery app for members installed on your smartphone. If you don’t already have the Discovery app, download it from the App store or Google Play.
- Log in to the Discovery app using the same username and password as for the Discovery website.
- On the app home screen, select the main menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Digital cards to view your available digital cards.
- Select a card to view. You may be required to accept the terms and conditions to view the card.
- In order to download a digital card, you will have to have a photo uploaded. You can take a new photo choose an existing photo from your photo library.
Advantages of using digital cards
Discovery Health Medical Scheme membership card
Your Discovery Health Medical Scheme membership card allows for you to personalise your card by assigning an identification photo to your card for added security. Your membership status is updated in real time.
Assigning a photo to my digital card
You can use an existing photo you have uploaded on our website on your Discovery Health Medical Scheme membership card.
If you choose to upload a different photo, you will be given a choice to use a photo from your mobile device photo library or to take a new photo with your phone camera.
Photo image quality criteria
- The image must be only of the member for whom the card has been created. No other person may appear in the image.
- The image must be clear and needs to allow for the clear visibility of the facial features of the member.
- The member in the image must not appear with sunglasses, a hat, a wig, face paint, hand-held objects or any other objects that will obstruct the full visibility of the member’s face.
- The image must consist of the member’s head and shoulders only and must fill more than 80% of the image leaving very little background.
- The image may not be altered to present an unnatural appearance.