Please click here to login into Discovery Digital Id
Discovery Insure frequently asked questions
Joining Discovery Insure
Discovery Insure offers car and home insurance at highly competitive rates. We use powerful incentives and advanced telematics technology with Vitality Drive to improve driving behaviour and offer state-of-the-art safety features with the purpose of creating a nation of safe drivers.
Discovery Insure offers 3 different plans, each with comprehensive car and home insurance. You can also get Vitality Drive on all plans for unique rewards and safety features.
To find out more, download and compare our plans.
You can also speak to your financial adviser or call us on 0860 751 751 during office hours.
All vehicles insured by Discovery Insure, except brand new ones, need to complete a pre-inspection within 5 days from your cover start date. This shows us your vehicle's condition when you join so that we can compare it when you submit claims in future.
You must complete the pre-inspection within 5 days from the day your cover starts, otherwise your future claims could be rejected.
You can do your own vehicle pre-inspection through the Discovery app. Simply take photos of your car and upload them. If you have Vitality Drive, you can also do your pre-inspection when you complete your Annual MultiPoint check at Tiger Wheel & Tyre.
You can contact us on 0860 751 751. Our call centre is open Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00, and on Saturday from 08:00 to 13:00. You can also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're a Discovery Insure client and have an emergency, please call 0860 999 911.
Your plan schedule explains the benefits on your individual plan. You can download your plan schedule from our website or from the Discovery app.
Remember to always check that your personal and cover details are correct on your plan schedule.
You can choose extra benefits to suit your unique circumstances. Download our insurance plan comparison to find out what Discovery Insure has to offer.
To see the maximum benefits you can get across all Discovery Insure plans, download our Benefit Limit Annexure.
You can update your details and cover in one of three easy ways:
- Chat to your financial adviser
- Call us on 0860 751 751
- Email us at email@example.com
Update your details as soon as they change to make sure you have the correct cover in place.
To change your banking details with Discovery Insure, please speak to your financial adviser, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0860 751 751, Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00, or Saturday from 08:00 to 13:00.
To change your car and home insurance plan, email us at email@example.com or speak to your financial adviser.
What your car is used for could influence your claims and cover
Giving us the correct information about what your car is used for is important - it helps us to determine your risk profile for theft or accidents seeing as these differ depending on what your car is used for. If the wrong details of what your car is used for is incorrect on your Plan Schedule, you may have to pay an additional excess when claiming. In fact, your claim may even be rejected.
There are different uses that your car can be insured for. You should indicate the one the car is used for most of the time on your Plan:
- Private and professional: You should choose this option when you use your car for:
- Private transportation of others and yourself between home and your workplace.
- Your car can occasionally be used for business (but not more than six occasions in a calendar month).
- However, the transporting goods for business, trade or commercial purposes is excluded from this option.
- Business: If you use your car mostly for work and occasionally (not more than six occasions in a calendar month) to carry goods for business or trade purposes, you can indicate this category on your Plan. However, transporting goods for commercial purposes is excluded from this category.
- Commercial use: When you use your car to generate income, you are using it for commercial purposes. Examples of cars being used for commercial purposes include the transport and delivery of any trade goods (like a delivery service or courier) and transporting people (such as a taxi).
If a car is used for commercial purposes, we can't insure it and would need to be placed on a commercial policy. If your car is being used for commercial purposes and you have a claim, it will be rejected by Discovery Insure.
How to determine if your car is being used for commercial purposes
To help you determine whether your car is being used for commercial purposes, please consider the questions below. If you answer "yes" to any of the questions, your car may be insured incorrectly and you might need to move your vehicle to be insured with a commercial insurer. If you have any doubt, please speak to your financial adviser or call us on 0860 751 751.
Questions to help you check whether your car is being used for commercial purposes:
- Is your car being driven by one or several drivers who are employed by a company or individual who offers your car to the drivers to do their job?
- Is your car used to transport passengers in exchange for payment?
- Is your car used to transport any valuable goods, equipment items that are sold to others for financial reward? Examples include beauty products that are sold to clients and plumbing equipment (geysers, pipes) that gets delivered to customers.
If you need to make any changes to your Plan, please speak to your financial adviser, call us on 0860 751 751. You can also send us an email with all the details of what you need updated to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your Plan number, initials and surname.
You can access your car insurance cross border letter from our website, Discovery app or email us at email@example.com or call us on 0860 751 751 during office hours.
Cover on your motor vehicle is limited to insured event which take place in countries listed below:
- Republic of South Africa
- Lesotho and Swaziland
- Democratic Republic of Congo
If your plan lapses or gets cancelled, your motor vehicle territorial cover no longer applies
You can get your Discovery Insure log book on the Discovery Insure app. If you have the Vitality Drive sensor:
- Open the Discovery Insure app.
- Tap the More menu in the bottom right corner.
- Tap Email logbook.
- Enter your details.
- The Excel report will be sent to the email address you provide.
If you have the standalone DQ-Track:
- On the Discovery website, go to the DQ Mapper page.
- Click the Access DQ mapper button.
- Click Reports.
- Select Trips and Utilisation.
- Select Business Private Report.
- Select the vehicles you need the report for.
We'll send you the report in a .PDF format, or you can click Download CSV format if you prefer the MS Excel version.
Discovery Insure is committed to providing you with the best service, and your feedback is important to us.
For any queries, complaints or other feedback, please speak to your financial adviser, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0860 751 751 during office hours. Our call centre is open Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 18:00, and on Saturday from 08:00 to 13:00.
You can cancel your car and home insurance any time by contacting us on 0860 751 751.
We'll debit any unpaid premiums and, after the cancellation date, you won't be covered by Discovery Insure anymore. You'll also give up any rewards you earned that weren't paid to you before the cancellation.
If your Discovery Insure Plan is cancelled, you will need to have your standalone DQ-Track removed from your car. If you choose not to have your standalone DQ-Track removed or if you do not contact us to arrange for it to be removed, you will need to pay a fee of R1 180. If you've installed the smartphone-enabled DQ-Track, you can simply discard it.
Vitality Drive programme
Vitality Drive is Discovery Insure's unique driver behaviour programme that rewards you for driving well. The better you drive, the more Vitality Drive points you earn and the more rewards you get.
Vitality Drive gives you:
- Up to 50% back on your Gautrain spend and BP and Shell fuel spend every month for driving well
- Weekly Active Rewards for meeting your personalised drive goal. You'll earn Discovery Miles to spend on exciting rewards such a coffees, smoothies, shopping and travel vouchers and more for achieving your weekly drive goal.
- Access to state-of-the-art safety features such as Impact Alert, which provides immediate response and medical help when your vehicle is involved in an accident, even if we can't get hold of you.
To get started on Vitality Drive:
- Install your Vitality Drive Sensor at your nearest Tiger Wheel & Tyre or Discovery Drive Centre and download the Discovery Insure app. You need to link your Discovery Insure app to your Vitality Drive Sensor to start measuring your driving behaviour.
- Link your Vitality Drive and Gautrain cards on the app or on www.discovery.co.za.
- Swipe your Vitality Drive card when you fill up at a participating BP or Shell service station, and earn fuel cash back on your Gautrain spend. You can get up to 50% back on spend each month.
You'll get your Vitality Drive card when you pick up your Vitality Drive Sensor or install your Crowd Search Sensor at Tiger Wheel & Tyre or your nearest Discovery Drive Centre.
If you install a standalone DQ-Track, you'll get your card from the technician when they install the device.
When and how you receive your Vitality Drive card depends on the DQ-Track option you chose:
- With the smartphone-enabled DQ-Track, you will get your Vitality Drive card in your welcome pack when you pick up your Vitality Drive Sensor at Tiger Wheel & Tyre or your nearest Discovery Drive Centre (You will not qualify for fuel rewards on Drive your Discount, so you will not receive a Vitality Drive card when you install a smartphone-enabled DQ-Track device).
- If you chose the standalone DQ-Track, you will receive your card from the technician on the day of your installation appointment.
Once you have your Vitality Drive card and have linked it to your Plan, all you have to do is swipe it at BP or Shell service stations when you fill up to earn your fuel rewards.
Not sure how to link your new Vitality Drive card? Simply click here to link it.
Replacement Vitality Drive cards are available at your nearest Tiger Wheel & Tyre branch or Discovery Drive Centre.
You can earn up to 1 600 Vitality Drive points every month. You earn Vitality Drive points by driving well, improving your driving behaviour, knowledge and awareness and by making sure your vehicles are safe to drive. At the end of each month, you will earn a Vitality Drive status based on your Vitality Drive points. As you earn more points, you will progress through the statuses: Blue, Bronze, Silver and Gold. Get to Diamond status by earning an average of at least 1 000 Vitality Drive points and remaining claim free over a 12-month period. The more Vitality Drive points you earn, the higher your Vitality Drive status and the more rewards you get.
You'll find the Drive Centres at:
Menlyn: 149 Aramist Avenue, Newlands, Pretoria, 0010
Cape Town: Corner of Bree Street and Strand Street, Cape Town City Centre, 8000
Sandton: 1 Discovery Place, Sandhurst, Sandton, 2196
You can do the following at our Drive Centres:
- Complete your annual MultiPoint check.
- Install your Vitality Drive Sensor, Crowd Search Sensor or standalone DQ-Track device.
- Collect your Vitality Drive card and link it to your insurance plan to start earning fuel cash back.
- Complete your 110-point vehicle functionality check for your warranty cover.
- Have NetAssess assess minor damages on your car (applicable to damages on a registered claim).
- Complete a light vehicle service with Bosch (only available at Menlyn Drive Centre).
- Learn more about Discovery Insure and the Vitality Drive programme.
You need to make a booking before visiting a Discovery Insure Drive Centre. You can book an appointment at an Insure Drive Centre online.
Vitality Drive members earn Vitality Drive points for driving well, improving their driving knowledge and awareness and making sure their vehicle is safe to drive.
Download more information on how to earn Vitality Drive points and Get to Diamond status.
Vitality Drive points earned for different activities take different lengths of time to reflect on your Vitality Drive Dashboard based on where we get the information from.
The information below shows how long points take to show on your Vitality Drive Dashboard for different activities:
Within 48 hours
Vitality Drive Points will reflect on your Vitality Drive Dashboard within 48 hours of completing:
Within seven days
- Passing the Annual MultiPoint check
- Your service history being up to date
Within 14 days
After the end of each month
If you have completed an activity and your Vitality Drive Points have not been awarded in the time listed above, please email us at email@example.com.
View your Vitality Drive dashboard and rewards summary dashboard online or on the Discovery app. Vitality Drive points may take up to 2 weeks to reflect.
You can earn Vitality Drive points when you don't drive for a full day. The number of points you earn is equal to the average of your daily Drive points balance for the past 30 days. This is an accurate predictor of what your Drive points balance would have been, had you driven that day. This amount can therefore change every day.
Points for no-drive days will contribute towards your Active Rewards drive ring and your monthly Driving Profile total.
If you did drive on a no-drive day and your trips aren't showing as a recorded trip, please upload your trip data. You may have chosen to only upload your trip data when you're on Wi-Fi. If this is the case, please connect to Wi-Fi so that you can upload your latest trip information and we can record all your trips. Once your trip information has updated, your Drive points balance for the day will change to show the Drive points deducted during each trip.
If you're the primary driver of more than one vehicle then the following rules apply:
- You'll get a maximum of 25 Drive points each day, if you have the Vitality Drive Sensor and 20 Drive points if you have the standalone DQ-track.
- You'll lose Drive points for events from all vehicles. This means that if you drive more than one vehicle on the same day, you could lose points based on your driving behaviour for all vehicles.
- If more than one of your vehicles are driven at the same time, you could lose Drive points for all trips, based on your driving behaviour and the driving behaviour of the other people driving your vehicles.
- You need to have a working Vitality Drive telematics device in all vehicles for which you are listed as a primary driver.
- To earn points for a no-drive day, you can't drive any of your vehicles on that day.
In months that have 31 days:
If you have the Vitality Drive Sensor, Drive points will contribute towards your Driving Profile up to a maximum of 750 Vitality Drive points. If you have the standalone DQ-Track, Drive points will contribute towards your Driving Profile up to a maximum of 600 Vitality Drive points. You therefore have an extra day to maximise your Driving Profile.
In February, which has less than 30 days:
You'll get 2 bonus days of Drive points (or 1 bonus day when it is a leap year), equal to the average of your daily Drive points over the past 30 days. E.g. if you earned an average of 19 Drive points in the last 30 days, you'll get 38 Drive points (19 Drive points x 2 days).
When your Vitality Drive Sensor and your Discovery Insure app aren't linked, your driving can't be tracked. This is called an uncovered trip. You'll lose Vitality Drive points for each uncovered trip, based on the duration of the trip, as follows:
to 20 minutes: 3 Drive points
21 to 30 minutes: 7 Drive points
More than 30 minutes: 10 Drive points.
Make sure all the required settings on your smartphone are enabled and the permissions accepted.
You can earn up to 150 Vitality Drive points each month if you avoid driving at night. Your points for night-time driving are calculated as the total night-time driving points of 150, less the points deducted for night-time driving over the past 30 days. You lose points for every minute you drive between 23:00 and 04:30, as follows:
23:00 to 00:00 - 1 point per minute
00:01 to 01:00 - 2 points per minute
01:01 to 02:00 - 3 points per minute
02:01 to 03:00 - 3 points per minute
03:01 to 04:00 - 2 points per minute
04:01 to 04:30 - 1 point per minute.
Try to avoid driving at night, when visibility is poorer, it's harder to focus and there are more impaired drivers on the road. Rather use our Drive Me partners and get up to 25% off Uber, Road Trip or Scooter Angels to get home safely.
You can earn up to 100 Vitality Drive points each month for driving less. You lose points for driving more kilometres, because the more time you spend on the road, the higher your risk of being involved in an accident.
We look at the total number of kilometres you've driven over the past 30 days. This amount can therefore change every day.
Vitality Drive uses the latest telematics technology to collect information about your driving behaviour. This includes acceleration, braking, cornering, speed, night-time driving, distance driven and cellphone use.
You can download more information about driving well to earn Vitality Drive points.
Acceleration, braking and cornering (every event):
Mild: 2 Drive points
Moderate: 3 Drive points
Severe: 4 Drive points
Speeding (every 10 seconds):
10 to 15 km/h over the speed limit: 1 Drive point
16 - 25 km/h over: 2 Drive points
More than 25 km/h over: 4 Drive points
1 Drive point for every 10 seconds that you use your cellphone while driving
10 to 20 minutes: 3 Drive points
21 to 30 minutes: 7 Drive points
More than 30 minutes: 10 Drive points
If you have the standalone DQ-Track, we'll deduct 3 points for each acceleration, braking and cornering event. We'll deduct points for speeding and uncovered trips in the same way as for the Vitality Drive Sensor. We cannot measure your cellphone use if you have the standalone DQ-Track and so no Drive points will be deducted for this.
Discovery Insure uses your Vitality Drive telematics device to see how often you drive above the G-force limits for acceleration, braking and cornering. Driving below the limits significantly reduces your risk of being in an accident, while driving above them increases your risk.
We use your Vitality Drive telematics device to measure the amount of time you drive above the speed limit. We look at every 10 seconds you drive 10 km/h or more above the speed limit.
If your speed limit information is wrong, you can report it to Discovery Insure by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We track your cellphone use while you're driving. You can safely use a hands-free kit or other Bluetooth connection without impacting your Vitality Drive score. However, if you text, manually dial a number or take calls while your car is moving, your score will be impacted.
Put your phone away or use a hands-free kit or other Bluetooth connections while driving so that you can focus on the road. Also, make sure your phone is in a secure position so that it doesn't move around your vehicle while you're driving.
To measure your night-time driving, we use your Vitality Drive telematics device to look at the amount of time that you drive late at after 23:00 and before 04:30 in the morning.
We use your Vitality Drive telematics device to measure the distance you've travelled. The more time you spend on the road, the higher your risk of being involved in an accident.
Monthly drive goals are an enhancement to Vitality Active Rewards and are a way for you to earn extra Discovery Miles. At the start of each month, we give you a goal based on your driving behaviour in the previous month. If you achieve your goal by the end of the month, you'll earn Discovery Miles.
There are 4 monthly drive goals and we'll give you up to 2 each month:
- Driving Profile: Increase your Driving Profile by an extra 100 Vitality Drive points over the month.
- Driving behaviour: Improve in the driving behaviour we allocate to you, from acceleration, braking, cornering or cellphone use. You'll need to have 6 extra days with no driving events for the specific behaviour we've allocated to you.
- Goal Streak: Achieve 3 consecutive weekly Active Rewards drive goals in a month.
- Annual MultiPoint check: Complete and pass your Annual MultiPoint check at Tiger Wheel & Tyre or your nearest Discovery Drive Centre.
Vitality Drive Telematics devices
You can choose how you would like to measure your driving behaviour - with either the smartphone-enabled or standalone DQ-Track.
The smartphone-enabled DQ-Track gives you the opportunity to earn more Vitality Drive points, more easily. It consists of the Discovery Insure app and our Vitality Drive Sensor device, and uses accelerometer, gyroscope and GPS data to measure your driving behaviour. It also gives you immediate trip feedback as well as detailed feedback on driving events including cellphone use, and the ability to compete with other drivers.
Stolen vehicle tracking and recovery is automatically included on the standalone DQ-Track for a monthly fee of R85 per car, per month.
All devices offer access to safety features such as Impact Alert, which can detect when you've been in a severe accident and we can send help immediately if we can't get hold of you, warnings of imminent bad weather and the ability to earn Vitality Drive rewards for driving well.
A R150 activation fee is payable immediately when you choose your DQ-Track. This activation fee is at a plan level, meaning that even if you have three vehicles on your plan and choose to install a DQ-Track in all the vehicles, you will only pay one activation fee.
When you join Vitality Drive through Drive your Discount, your driving behaviour will be measured by the Discovery app at no additional cost. To get access to safety features, you can install a smartphone-enabled DQ-Track and pay a R150 activation fee per Plan.
You can make an online appointment to have a standalone DQ-Track installed or call us on 0860 751 751.
If you're on the Purple or Classic Plan and live in a main metropolitan area, you can have your standalone DQ-Track installed at a place you choose. Where this service is not available, we'll let you know where you can take your car to have the device fitted. If you're on the Essential Plan, you'll need to have your device installed at your nearest fitment centre.
The standalone DQ-track is installed by a skilled technician who hides the device inside your vehicle. The installation will take 2 to 3 hours.
You can collect your Vitality Drive Sensor at any Tiger Wheel & Tyre in South Africa or your nearest Discovery Drive Centre. They will also help you install the device and link it to your Discovery Insure app.
You can also link your Vitality Drive Sensor by following the prompts on the Discovery app yourself.
To get the most from Vitality Drive, you need to install one of our telematics devices. These measure how you drive and give you access to our safety features. You can choose between:
- The Vitality Drive Sensor, a smartphone-enabled device that uses the latest telematics technology and works with the Discovery Insure app. It provides accurate and immediate driver behaviour feedback after each trip.
- The Crowd Search Sensor, which is the same as the Vitality Drive Sensor but with enhanced stolen-vehicle recovery (SVR) technology for an additional monthly fee.
- The standalone DQ-Track, if you don't have a smartphone that's compatible with the Vitality Drive or Crowd Search Sensor. It includes SVR for an additional monthly fee.
You'll need to pay a once-off fee of R150 when you activate your device we'll deduct the fee with your first premium.
You can download more information about Vitality Drive devices.
To allow Discovery Insure to track your driving:
- Accept all permissions for the Discovery Insure app.
- Check that your phone's Bluetooth, mobile and cellular data are on.
- If you have an Android device, turn on GPS and location services and make sure high accuracy mode is on. Deactivate mock location services and battery saver mode. If you have an iOS device, turn on location services and switch on background app refresh for the Discovery Insure app.
If your trips aren't being recorded and you have a Vitality Drive Sensor or the Crowd Search sensor, make sure your phone's Bluetooth, GPS and mobile data are on. Also check that you've installed the latest version of the Discovery Insure app and that it's linked to your Vitality Drive Sensor.
If you don't have a Vitality Drive Sensor, collect one at your nearest Tiger Wheel & Tyre or Discovery Drive Centre.
If none of these solves the problem, or if you have a standalone DQ-Track, please speak to your financial adviser or call us on 0860 751 751.
When you install the standalone DQ-Track in your car, you can use DQ Mapper to manage your trips and track your car in real time. You can also generate various business or personal trip reports. The DQ Mapper is not available with the smartphone-enabled DQ-Track.
If you've installed the standalone DQ-Track, you can visit our website to access DQ Mapper.
Here are the ways to check your DQ-Track's functionality:
Testing your standalone DQ-Track by SMS
- Create a new SMS on your cellphone.
- Type in the letter T or P.
- Using the international +27 number format, send the SMS to the DQ-Track cell tracking number given to you during installation.
- You'll receive an SMS from DQ-Track confirming your car's location within minutes.
- You may not receive the SMS immediately if your car is out of GSM coverage (for example, a remote area where GSM coverage is poor, like a parking basement).
Testing your standalone DQ-Track online with DQ Mapper
- Log in to www.discovery.co.za here.
- A new window will appear. Click on 'Access DQ Mapper'.
- A new window will appear showing both a map and a list of cars on your plan that have a DQ-Track installed.
- Click on any of these cars to see their location.
Testing your smartphone-enabled DQ-Track
You can see if your Vitality Drive sensor is connected on the "My vehicles (Vitality Drive sensors)" screen in "Settings" on an iPhone and on the 'Active Vitality Drive sensors' screen for Android. You'll see this within the first 10 minutes of activation at the time of installation. To check if your Vitality Drive sensor is connected at any other point, go to "About", then "List Vitality Drive sensors" on an Android device, and for iPhone, tap on "Account details" and then "Your cars". You can also see if the Vitality Drive sensor is connected while driving by seeing a green bar that says 'DQ Connected' on the Dashboard. This will only appear in driving mode.
If you are using a Samsung device and have recently upgraded to Android Operating System 9 (OS 9), make sure that your Discovery Insure app is not in hibernation mode. Here is a step by step guide on how to take your Discovery Insure App out of hibernation mode so we can continue to measure your driving behavior.
The information from your DQ-Track will be used to measure your driving behaviour and track the location of your vehicle in the event of a severe incident.
We will not use information from your DQ-Track when approving claims. The only time we will use the data from your DQ-Track in the claims process is to verify the time and location of an incident.
If you are involved in an accident and want to use data from the DQ-Track to prove your innocence and claim money from a third party, we will help you do so too. Discovery Insure, however, will not use such information without your permission.
If you insure your motorcycle with Discovery Insure, you have the option to select the Vitality Drive programme and get rewarded for your motorcycle riding behaviour.
The Vitality Drive programme for motorcycles differs from the standard Vitality Drive programme, depending on whether you have a comprehensively insured car on your Discovery Insure plan or whether the only vehicle you insure on the Discovery Insure plan is your motorcycle.
If your motorcycle is insured with other vehicles
You can select the Vitality Drive programme for motorcycles if you have activated Vitality Drive on your Discovery Insure plan. Vitality Drive for motorcycles is optional, even if Vitality Drive is activated on the Discovery Insure plan.
You can add a motorcycle to your Vitality Drive programme on the fuel rewards and Drive Your Discount reward options, if you have other vehicles on your policy.
If your motorcycle is the only vehicle insured
You can join Vitality Drive fuel reward option for R63 a month for each primary driver if your only motor vehicle is a motorcycle and you have insured your household contents or buildings for at least R250 000. You cannot join Vitality Drive through Drive your Discount if you only insure your motorcycle.
Learn more about Vitality Drive for motorcycles.
If you're a Vitality Drive client, you have access to state-of-the-art safety features, including:
- Impact Alert: provides immediate response and medical care when your vehicle is in a severe accident, even if we can't get hold of you.
- Vehicle panic button: lets you use your smartphone as a panic button to ask for immediate help in an emergency.
- Find my vehicles: allows you to use your smartphone find all the vehicles insured on your plan. The app shows the last location where the vehicle and smartphone were paired.
- Weather warnings: sends you warnings of approaching bad weather, using weather data combined with the telematics device's location data.
- Stolen-vehicle tracking and recovery: allows Discovery Insure to find and recover stolen vehicles. Install the Vitality Drive Sensor or Crowd Search Sensor to get access to this safety feature.
Visit our website for more information about these safety features.
When you join Vitality Drive and install your Vitality Drive Sensor, you can use your smartphone as a vehicle panic button and ask for immediate help if you have an emergency. A call centre agent will try to contact you, and if they can't get hold of you, they'll immediately send an emergency response team to you.
For this feature to work, your phone needs to be connected to the Vitality Drive Sensor:
- Android: press the power button of your phone at least 5 times in quick succession to send a panic alert to Discovery Insure.
- iOS: press the red panic button that appears at the top right of the dashboard on your Discovery Insure app.
When you join Vitality Drive and install a telematics device, this device can pick up if your vehicle has been in an accident and immediately sends us a notification.
We'll then monitor your vehicle to check whether it's standing still or if you start driving normally again. If it's standing still, we'll try to call you on your cellphone and find out if you need help. If we can't reach you, we'll immediately send emergency medical assistance to the accident scene.
Each driver has a unique way of driving. Our standalone DQ-Track can detect in real time if there are any sudden, abnormal or aggressive driving patterns with your car. When this happens, it could mean your car has been hijacked or stolen. We'll immediately call you on your cellphone and help you if you need it.
When you cancel your car insurance or change your insured vehicles, we need to remove the standalone DQ-Track from your vehicle. If you don't have it removed, you'll pay a penalty fee.
You can book an online appointment to have your DQ-Track removed or contact us on 0860 751 751.
The Crowd Search Sensor now offers you an additional layer of protection, using new telematics technology. You'll receive notifications when your vehicle is moving and your phone is not present, alerting you to possible theft of your vehicle.
With Motion Alert, Discovery Insure can detect when a vehicle is being driven without the primary driver's cellphone present. The cellphone won't be linked to the Crowd Search Sensor. We'll send a notification to the primary driver informing them that their vehicle is being driven. The primary driver can either request emergency assistance or let us know they're aware that the vehicle is being driven by someone else.
To get Motion Alert, you must have an active Vitality Drive programme and a working Crowd Search Sensor.
The Motion Alert notification is sent to the primary driver. They can then respond by notifying Insure24 to initiate emergency services. Alternatively, they can disable the notification for a specific time frame or dismiss the alert if they're aware that their vehicle is being driven.
If the primary driver does not respond to the notification after some time, an SMS will be sent to the primary driver's phone. Thereafter, a notification will be sent to the planholder's phone.
Vitality Drive Benefits and rewards
To Increase your rewards%:
- You must Insure your motor vehicle and home
- You must complete and pass a Annual MultiPoint check.
|Essential Plan car insurance||Essential Plan car and home insurance||Classic and Executive Plan car insurance only||Classic and Purple Plan car and home insurance||Motorcycle and home insurance|
|Immediate rewards||Up to 5%||Up to 10%||Up to 10%||Up to 20%||Up to 10%|
|Rewards for passing
a Tiger Wheel & Tyre Annual MultiPoint check
|Up to 12.5%||Up to 25%||Up to 25%||Up to 50%||Up to 25%|
To maximise your fuel rewards percentage to up to 50%, you need to:
- Insure your household contents and/or building with your car or motorcycle on your Discovery Insure Plan for at least R250 000.
- Take your motor vehicle to Tiger Wheel & Tyre and pass an Annual MultiPoint check.
*You must insure your building or household contents or both for a minimum of R250 000.
Here's a summary of your Vitality Drive points -earning activities:
|Earning Vitality Drive points||Activities||Monthly Vitality Drive points|
|Driver behaviour||Driver performance score||0 to 850|
|Personal goals(which you'll select quarterly)||50|
|Claim free years: One||25|
|Claim free years: Two||75|
|Claim free years: Three or more||200|
|Knowledge and awareness||Online driver assessment||50 for 12 months|
|Driving courses||Up to 150 for 24 months|
|EyeGym: Primary course||Up to 50 for 12 months|
|EyeGym: Advanced course||100 for 12 months|
|Vehicle safety||Passing the Tiger Wheel Tyres Annual MultiPoint check||Up to 100 for 12 months|
|Service history up to date||50 for 12 months|
If you purchase fuel at BP or Shell and make use of the Gautrain, we'll reward you on your total monthly combined spend. You can also choose to have your fuel rewards doubled and paid into your Excess Funder Account.
You could win up to a free tank of fuel for achieving a Perfect Day on the day you fill up at BP or Shell. You'll receive the good news by SMS.
Click here to see all the winners and to find out more.
Yes, you can switch between getting your fuel rewards paid into your premium paying bank account and having them doubled and added to your Insure Funder Account on a monthly basis.
Call us on 0860 751 751 to switch between these two reward options.
Learn more about fuel rewards and the Insure Funder Account.
You can see your fuel rewards or Insure Funder Account balance here.
As a client with Vitality Drive you qualify for more rewards. Earning these rewards is easy. All you have to do is drive well and earn Vitality Drive points. The more Vitality Drive points you earn, the higher your Vitality Drive status, the more rewards you'll get.
Download rewards that are available on both Vitality Drive rewards options.
As a Discovery Insure client with Vitality Drive, you can get up to 50% off the purchase price of a car seat every year through our partners, Born Fabulous and Babies R Us. The discount is based on your driving behaviour and Vitality Drive status at the time of redeeming your reward. For more details on this benefit, download the car seat benefit guide.
The car seat benefit is only available to Vitality Drive primary drivers with an active profile, who have not claimed this benefit in the last 12 months.
You can redeem your car seat discount voucher on the Born Fabulous website or in a Babies R Us store.
You can easily claim your car seat discount voucher on the Discovery website or app.
On the Discovery website:
- Log in to your Discovery Insure profile on the Discovery website.
- Click the CAR AND HOME INSURANCE tab at the top of the page.
- Click on Other rewards and benefits.
- Click on the discounted child car seat benefit and follow the steps to claim your voucher.
- We'll send you a wiCode, which is valid for 12 months.
On the Discovery app:
- Log in to the Discovery app.
- In the main menu, select Car and home Insurance.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen. Under Benefits and partners, tap Redeem car seat discount and then Claim discount.
- We'll send you a wiCode, which is valid for 12 months.
To use your voucher to buy a qualifying car seat, visit the Born Fabulous website or visit a Babies R Us store.
To see a list of car seats that qualify for the Discovery Insure with Vitality Drive discount, download the Born Fabulous car seat list or the Babies R Us car seat list. The prices indicated include value added tax (VAT).
If you're struggling to redeem your car seat discount voucher, it could be one of 2 reasons:
- The product you've chosen is not eligible for the discount. Download the Born Fabulous car seat list or the Babies R Us car seat list to see which products are eligible.
- Your discount code is incorrect. Make sure the code you're using is 9?12 digits long.
You can earn points for doing a Discovery Insure driving course as follows:
- Complete the online driver training course from the comfort of your home. You'll earn 150 Vitality Drive points a month for 12 months
- Complete an advanced online driving course to earn 150 Vitality Drive points a month for 24 months.
- Complete the Discovery Driving Academy Refresher course and you'll earn 150 Vitality Drive points every month for 12 months.
The maximum number of Vitality Drive points you can earn in a month is 1 600, and the maximum you can earn for doing a driving course is 150 per month.
Driving courses are designed to teach you critical defensive driving techniques that help you drive better and be safer on the road.
Discovery Insure offers physical driving courses, an online driving course and a simulator course to help you become a better, safer driver and earn great rewards.
Our physical and online driving partners are BMW Driving Experience, Jaguar Land Rover Experience, Volkswagen Driving Academy and BMW Rider Academy.
Our simulated courses are offered at our Discovery Driving Academy, 1 Discovery Place. They teach new drivers the basics of driving and will refresh the skills of experienced drivers, all in a safe environment.
Discovery Insure offers both physical driving courses and an online driving course.
Book an online course on our website, or choose one of our drive partners to find out more about the physical courses they offer.
BMW Driving Experience, Jaguar Land Rover Experience, Volkswagen Driving Academy
- BMW Driving Experience
- Jaguar and Land Rover Experience
- Volkswagen Driving Academy
With the Vitality Drive programme, you can get up to 50% of your BP and Shell fuel and Gautrain spend back every month. The percentage you get depends on your plan type, whether you have home insurance, whether your vehicle has passed the Annual MultiPoint check and whether you've added home insurance of at least R250 000 to your plan.
You can download more information about Vitality Drive and how to increase your cash back.
Your monthly fuel cash back is based on your fuel and Gautrain spend as well as how many Vitality Drive points you've earned each month. We take the lower amount of the 2 for the month and multiply this by your fuel cash back percentage.
Your fuel cash back percentage is based on your plan type, whether you have passed the Annual MultiPoint check and whether you have added home insurance of at least R250 000 to your plan.
We calculate your fuel rewards. using both your fuel and Gautrain spend, up to a total monthly combined spend of R1 600.
If you're not getting your fuel cash back:
- Visit the Vitality dashboard on our website to check that you have a Vitality Drive telematics device installed and that it's working correctly.
- Visit our website to check that your Vitality Drive card is linked to your plan.
- Make sure you've got the latest version of the Discovery Insure app and that it's linked to your Vitality Drive Sensor.
- Accept all permissions for the Discovery Insure app.
- Check that your phone's Bluetooth, mobile and cellular data are on.
- If you have an Android device, turn on GPS and location services and make sure high accuracy mode is on. Deactivate mock location services and battery saver mode.
- If you have an iOS device, turn on location services and switch on background app refresh for the Discovery Insure app.
- Swipe your Vitality Drive card every time you fill up at a BP or Shell service station.
If this doesn't help, or if you have a standalone DQ-Track, please speak to your financial adviser or call us on 0860 751 751.
Discovery Insure clients who have comprehensive vehicle insurance and Vitality Drive fuel cash back rewards, have access to the Insure Funder Account. If you choose to have your Vitality Drive fuel cash back paid into your Insure Funder Account, Discovery Insure will match your contribution, so you get double the amount.
With the Insure Funder Account, you can:
- Pay the excess for any vehicle or hired vehicle on your plan
- Reduce your vehicle insurance premium by increasing your excess
- Fund up to 100% of your new tyres from Tiger Wheel & Tyre
- Withdraw up to 50% of your Insure Funder Account balance in cash any time after the first 3 years of your plan.
You can download more information about the Insure Funder Account.
Discovery Insure offers both physical driving courses and an online driving course to help you become a better, safer driver and earn great rewards.
Our driving partners are BMW Driving Experience, Jaguar Land Rover Experience, Volkswagen Driving Academy and BMW Rider Academy.
Visit our website for more about our driving courses or to take the online driving course.
Our Online driver training gives you important driving safety knowledge to help keep you safe on the road. It has 6 modules, each featuring a video clip of about 5 minutes and an assessment of 10 questions. The pass mark is 80% and once you've done all the assessments you'll earn 150 Vitality Drive points every month for 12 months.
Visit our website to do your Online driver training.
Our Online driver assessment helps improve your driving knowledge and awareness. If you do the assessment, you'll earn 50 Vitality Drive points every month for 12 months. The assessment is made up of 3 sections and takes just a few minutes to complete.
Visit our website to do you Online driver assessment.
To improve your driving knowledge and awareness, you can complete our Online driver training and online driver assessment. You can also strengthen your eyes with EyeGym. All these activities can be done from the comfort of your home.
Visit our website to complete these online activities.
Discovery Insure is committed to keeping you safe on the roads. As a Vitality Drive member, Drive Me offers you an affordable way of getting home safely after a big night out, you can avoid more than an unpleasant hangover.
With Discovery Insure, you have access to up to 25% off safe personal driver services at any time of the day with our Drive Me partners - Uber, Road Trip and Scooter Angels, who are available in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town and Durban. Scooter Angels is also available in Bloemfontein, East London, George, Nelspruit and Pietermaritzburg.
Vitality Active Rewards
Discovery Insure clients with Vitality Drive will automatically be enrolled in the Active Rewards programme.
If you have Vitality Drive, Discovery rewards you for meeting your weekly personalised Active Rewards drive goal.
Every Saturday, Discovery sets a personalised Active Rewards drive goal for you, based on how you drove in the previous week.
We then give you 25 Drive points each day. You'll need to drive well to keep your daily Drive points and you'll lose points if you drive harshly. At the end of each day, your remaining Drive points are added to your Active Rewards, until you achieve your personalised drive goal.
You'll instantly earn 100 Discovery Miles and a play on the gameboard when you achieve your weekly Active Rewards goal. Flip a tile on the gameboard to reveal more Discovery Miles. You can spend your Miles on coffees, smoothies, meals and entertainment, or save them for higher value rewards like shopping, travel and holiday vouchers.
You can visit our website for more about Vitality Active Rewards.
Every Saturday, Discovery gives you a personalised Active Rewards drive goal based on your driving behaviour. You have from Saturday until midnight on the next Friday to achieve your weekly drive goal. When you do, you'll instantly earn 100 Discovery Miles, plus a play on the gameboard on the next Wednesday.
Visit our website to find out more about Vitality Active Rewards.
You can only get one Active Reward a week for each primary driver.
Every Saturday, Discovery gives you a personalised Active Rewards drive goal, based on how you drove in the previous week. The minimum drive goal is 70 Drive points and this is the goal you'll start with when you first opt in to Active Rewards. If you meet your goal for the week, your goal for the next week will increase by 15 Drive points. Your goal will continue to increase every time you achieve it. The maximum goal is 140 Drive points if you have the Vitality Drive Sensor or Crowd Search Sensor and 120 Drive points if you have the standalone DQ-Track.
Active Rewards weeks run from Saturday to Friday. This means you can see your personalised weekly drive goal on Saturday morning and will have until Friday night to achieve your goal and fill your drive ring on the Discovery app.
Discovery Driving Academy
The Discovery Driving Academy gives first-time and experienced drivers real-world experiences, using driving simulators. It's made to mimic scenarios that the driver is likely to encounter on the road. The simulator itself mimics a real car and includes an accelerator, a brake, a clutch, a gearbox, indicators and windscreen wipers.
The Academy, based at 1 Discovery Place, teaches new drivers the basics of driving and will refresh the skills of experienced drivers, all in a safe environment.
There are currently 2 courses available at the Discovery Driving Academy. One is aimed at first-time drivers wanting to get their driving licence (the Licence Prep course), and the other is for more experienced drivers (the Refresher course).
The Licence Prep course teaches first-time drivers the fundamentals of driving by providing them with real-world driving experiences. This allows them to increase their confidence and helps to reduce their accident risk since they learn to anticipate, prepare for and handle unpredictable and hazardous driving conditions and react in a safe and controlled way, without putting themselves or others at risk.
First-time drivers get a 15% vehicle premium discount when they join Discovery Insure and Vitality Drive after passing their Licence Prep simulator course and driver's licence test.
Visit our website to find out more about the Licence Prep course.
The Refresher course is for people who have a driver's licence, but who wish to refresh their skills and learn defensive driving techniques. Vitality Drive clients who complete and pass the Refresher course will earn 150 Vitality Drive points every month for 12 months.
Visit our website to find out more about the Refresher course.
Vitality Drive clients who complete and pass the Refresher course will earn 150 Vitality Drive points every month for 12 months.
The Licence Prep course doesn't earn you any Vitality Drive points.
The fee for the Licence Prep course is R1 575. Discovery clients get 25% off this fee, while Discovery Insure clients get 50% off.
The fee for the Refresher course is R630. Discovery clients get 25% off this fee, while Discovery Insure clients get 50% off.
If you complete the Licence Prep course and would like more training, you can buy lessons at a rate of R315 an hour. Discovery clients get 25% off this fee, while Discovery Insure clients get 50% off.
The Discovery Driving Academy is based at 1 Discovery Place in Sandton, Johannesburg.
You can book a Discovery Insure Driving Academy course online. Courses are only available at 1 Discovery Place, Sandton.
To qualify for a 15% vehicle premium discount with Discovery Insure, you must pass the Licence Prep course and your driving licence test. Then take out a Discovery Insure comprehensive vehicle insurance policy with Vitality Drive within 2 years.
The Licence Prep course covers:
- The fundamentals of driving
- Pulling off and changing gears smoothly without stalling
- Driving on different types of roads
- Driving in light to heavy traffic
- Driving at all times of the day
- Driving in rain, fog, mist and other weather conditions
- Combinations of the above scenarios, so that drivers get a comprehensive driving experience.
The Refresher course:
- Allows the driver to raise any concerns they have about their driving skills
- Teaches driving on different types of roads, and in different traffic and weather conditions, in order to apply skills learnt
- Teaches defensive driving techniques and applications to everyday driving scenarios, including observation skills, correct following and stopping distances and speed control.
Visit the Tiger Wheel & Tyre website to find your nearest Tiger Wheel & Tyre store.
Vision is your most important sense when you're driving. As such, EyeGym is an online visual training programme that helps to improve your visual awareness, performance, processing and response skills. Through regular EyeGym training, you can earn up to 150 Vitality Drive points a month for up to 12 months.
Visit our website to train your eyes with EyeGym.
Scooter Angels is a take-me-home service that fetches you and your car after a night out and drives you safely home.
As a Discovery Insure client with Vitality Drive, you pay no monthly membership fee and you can get 25% off the cost of your Scooter Angel trips, up to a maximum discount of R250 a month. You'll be charged R13,20 for every kilometre you travel .
If you have a Discovery Insure Purple or Classic Plan, you qualify for up to 25% off your Uber trips, with a maximum discount of R96 per trip and 15 trips a month.
If you have an Essential Plan, you qualify for up to 10% off your Uber trips, with a maximum discount of R30 per trip and 15 trips a month.
Visit our website for more about the Uber benefit.
We enhanced the Uber benefit and deactivated your current Drive Me profile. To continue getting your Uber discount you need to re-register your Uber Drive Me benefit on our website
We enhanced the Uber Drive Me benefit and automatically deactivated your current profile. To continue using your Drive Me benefit you need to re-register your Uber Drive Me profile on our website.
Follow these steps to re-activate your Uber benefit on our website:
- Log in to your Discovery profile at www.discovery.co.za.
- Navigate to the Car and home insurance tab and select Other rewards and benefits.
- Select Drive Me discounts then Learn more.
- Click on Learn more about Uber driving services and then Activate Uber benefit.
Once you completed the above steps, you will receive a confirmation message that your re activation is successful.
Road Trip is a take-me-home service that fetches you and your car after a night out and drives you home safely.
As a Vitality Drive client, there's no monthly membership fee and you'll get 25% off the cost of your trips, up to a maximum discount of R250 a month. You'll be charged R11,95 for every kilometre you travel.
Visit our website to find out more about Road Trip.
Discovery Insure Vehicle Warranty
Discovery Insure Vehicle Warranty covers you for mechanical breakdown and electrical failure, as well as wear and tear of your vehicle's critical components.
Mechanical breakdown and electrical failure:
- Covers the full cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle's critical components if you've had an unexpected mechanical breakdown or electrical failure
- Covers 36 critical vehicle components.
- Doesn't impose any limits for the component being repaired or replaced, although your claims are limited to the total sum you're insured for.
- Covers mechanical components for ongoing mechanical weakening that happens from normal use.
The premiums for our warranty cover is personalised, based on your risk profile.
To add Discovery Insure Vehicle Warranty to your plan, contact your financial adviser or call us on 0860 751 751.
A warranty plan covers you for unexpected mechanical breakdown and electrical failure of the critical components of your vehicle. To prevent a gap in cover, buy this plan right before your vehicle's manufacturer warranty has expired.
Discovery Insure Vehicle Warranty offers comprehensive cover for mechanical breakdown and electrical failure, as well as wear-and-tear for your vehicle's critical components.
Mechanical breakdown and electrical failure covers you for the full cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle's critical components after an unexpected mechanical breakdown or electrical failures that causes a component to suddenly stop functioning, needing repair or replacement. This cover is comprehensive, covers 36 critical vehicle components and does not impose any limits for the particular component that is repaired, replaced. The cover is unlimited per insured component, yet all claims are limited to the total sum insured. Traditional warranty cover imposes a rand value limit for each vehicle part, regardless of the car insured.
Wear-and-tear cover covers mechanical components from ongoing mechanical weakening that happens from normal use or age. This is unlike many insurers, who do not cover wear-and-tear in their warranty plans.
To qualify for comprehensive vehicle warranty, your car must:
- Have comprehensive vehicle insurance with Discovery Insure
- Be less than 10 years old
- Have driven less than 250 000km
- Have an up-to-date service history
If you apply for a Discovery Insure Vehicle Warranty and there's a gap since the end of your warranty cover from the car manufacturer, we'll apply a 3-month waiting period. You'll only be able to submit claims after this period.
You can have the waiting period waived if you complete and pass the Bosch vehicle functionality 110-point check, for a fee of R600. If your vehicle passes, you'll have full warranty cover from the date of completing the check.
If your premium is more than R1 000 and there's a gap since the end of your car manufacturer's warranty cover, the Bosch vehicle functionality 110-point check is compulsory, but you won't need to pay the R600 fee.
We use a sophisticated, risk-rated premium structure to work out your vehicle warranty premium. This means you pay a premium that's based on your own risk.
Traditional warranty plans use an unsophisticated pricing structure with little price differentiation, often based on the vehicle's age and mileage.
We give you peace of mind with a flat excess of your choice. Traditional insurers impose cover limits forcing you to pay an uncertain amount when your claim is more than the insured component's limit.
Discovery Insure offers unlimited vehicle warranty cover, up to the insured value of your vehicle. Traditional insurers impose cover limits, forcing you to pay an uncertain amount if your claim is more than the insured component's limit.
Vitality Drive is Discovery Insure's unique driver-behaviour programme that rewards you for driving well. If you also have Discovery Insure's Vehicle Warranty, you can get up to 50% off your yearly car service and maintenance costs, depending on your Vitality Drive status. This discount is limit to R5 000 spend.
You can double your discount up to 100% if you service your car at any Motus Network or Bosch dealership. This is also limited to R5 000 spend.
Young Adult benefit
If you're younger than 26, have comprehensive car insurance with Discovery Insure and have Vitality Drive, you can activate the Young Adult benefit.
We'll deposit 25% of your cash insurance premiums into your Rewards Fund every 6 months. At the end of each month, we'll adjust your Rewards Fund based on your Vitality Drive status and deduct R10 for every kilometre you've driven between 23:00 and 04:30. At the end of the 6-month cycle, the balance of your Rewards Fund will be paid into the bank account from which you pay your premiums.
You'll also get great rewards such as:
- Up to 50% of your BP, Shell and Gautrain spend back every month
- Access to an Insure Funder Account where you can double your fuel cash back
- Discounted prices with DriveMe partners such asUber, Road Trip and Scooter Angels
- Up to 20% discount at Tiger Wheel & Tyre and Bosch
- Weekly Active Rewards.
You can opt into or out of the Young Adult benefit at any stage by contacting us on 0860 751 751 or emailing email@example.com.
Visit our website for more information about the Young Adult benefit.
The Young Adult benefit is exclusively available to drivers under the age of 26 years.
Learn more about the great rewards and benefits we're offering young adult drivers.
Once you have activated your Young Adult benefit, we will deposit 25% of your car insurance premium into your Rewards Fund. We will deposit this money into your Rewards Fund upfront for each six month period (25% x monthly premium x 6). The balance in your Rewards Fund will increase or decrease depending on your driving behaviour and how many kilometres you drive between 23:00 and 04:30. After six months the balance of your Rewards Fund will become available to you.
Yes, your Rewards Fund can become negative but it won't impact you as it will be reset to zero at the end of every six-month cycle. We won't ask you to top up your Rewards Fund if your balance is negative.
Drive well and earn at least 300 DQ Points each month and avoid night time driving betweeen 23:00 and 04:30.
You may have a premium adjustment at the end of every six months, based on your kilometres of night-time driving over the previous six-month period:
|Monthly average night-time kilometres||Premium increases|
|0 - 50||0%|
|50 - 100||10%|
|100 - 150||15%|
|150 - 200||20%|
These premium adjustments are in addition to your annual premium review at your Plan anniversary and will apply for a period of six months only.
You can boost your Rewards Fund each month based on your Vitalitydrive status:
|Essential||Classic and Purple|
|Drivers can increase their Rewards fund each month by driving|
However, for every 1km that you drive your car between 23:00 and 04:30, while it's insured by Discovery Insure, your Rewards Fund will decrease by R10. If you use our DriveMe benefit you will not have any money deducted from your Rewards Fund.
Yes, you will lose all the money you've accumulated as the funds are only available after each six-month cycle.
Vitality Drive 65+
If you're aged 65 to 80, you could qualify for Vitality Drive 65+ and get up to 50% of your premium back every year, depending on your Vitality Drive status. You'll also get access to all the other Vitality Drive rewards, such as up to 50% fuel and Gautrain cash back, Vitality Active Rewards and other Vitality Drive status-based rewards.
To qualify, you'll need to proactively manage your health by doing the Vitality Health Check for 65+, drive well and drive less than 10 000 km in a year.
To qualify for the Vitality Drive 65+ benefit, you must:
- Be 65 to 80 years old
- Complete the Vitality Health Check for 65+ within the 12 months before your annual premium payback calculation
- Have Vitality Drive activated on your plan for at least 6 months
- Drive less than 10 000 km in a year.
The Vitality Health Check for 65+ can be done whether or not you're a Vitality or Discovery Health Medical Scheme member:
- If you're a Vitality or Discovery Health Medical Scheme member, you won't have to pay a fee for the Vitality Health Check for 65+ check.
- If you're not a Vitality or Discovery Health Medical Scheme member, you'll need to pay R280.
You'll receive your premium payback of up to 50% on your plan anniversary, at the same time that your renewal premium is debited.
If you proactively manage your health by doing the Vitality Health Check for 65+, drive well and drive less than 10 000 km in year, you can get up to 50% premium payback every year, based on your Vitality Drive status:
Additional content for Uber based on new registration journey
Discovery Insure offers you a number of convenient, hassle-free ways to claim.
Learn more about how to claim.
You have a few options to update your Plan. Learn more about how to manage your Plan.
If you have an emergency claim, call Discovery 911 on 0860 999 911. Otherwise, submit your claim online or through the Discovery app. With Auto Claims, you can have claims for geysers, vehicle glass, cellphones and electronic equipment approved instantly in 3 easy steps:
Step 1: Submit a claim through the Discovery app or website
Step 2: Our claim algorithms determine whether the claim can be authorised instantly.
Step 3: The claim is auto-approved for replacement or a repair or the claim will be redirected to a claims agent who will contact you to finalise your claim.
Automatic approval is only applicable to geyser, vehicle glass, cellphone and electronic equipment (portable possession) claims. However, all claim types can be submitted online or through the app.
You can also call us on 0860 751 751 or visit our website for more information on how to claim.
You can track your claim online or through the Discovery app.
You can stay informed about the progress of your motor, household contents, buildings, or portable possessions claims online with ClaimsView.
ClaimsView has several unique features, including, being able to see the status of your claim, access service provider contact details and with a motor claim, for example, view photographs of your vehicle as it goes through the repair process.
Read more about ClaimsView.
You need to read your Plan Guide carefully to know all the important events that will not be covered at claim stage.
You won't pay an excess if an insured third party causes an accident. Also, if you're on the Classic or Purple Plans, you won't pay an excess for any theft or weather-related claims.
For full details, download our Excess Annexure.
Your excess is the amount you need to pay when you submit a claim. This is made up of your chosen basic excess and any other excess amounts that apply. You could have a voluntary excess, where you've chosen to increase your total excess and so reduce your monthly premium, or it could be a compulsory excess that applies in certain circumstances, e.g. if you've insured your vehicle for the incorrect class of use, you'll need to pay an additional, compulsory excess amount.
If you have a Discovery Card, you can use your Discovery Miles to fund your Discovery Insure excess.
You can choose any payment day for your Discovery Insure premium that suits you.
To check which day you've already chosen, download your latest plan schedule.
If you have an approved Fast Track claim, we'll replace your specified electronic devices, such as cellphones, tablets or laptops, within 48 hours. If we don't meet these deadlines, we'll waive the basic excess for the claim.
FastTrack claims is available under the portable possessions section of cover. With FastTrack claims, your specified electronic devices such as cellphones, tablets or laptops will be replaced within 48 hours if the claim is an approved FastTrack claim. If we don't meet these deadlines, we will waive the basic excess for the claim.
You can log your FastTrack claims on our website or on the Discovery Insure app.
Learn more about the terms and conditions of this benefit.
You can submit minor damage claims for your car to Discovery Insure online or on the Discovery app. If your claim is approved, we'll repair your car within 5 working days of starting the repair.
If we don't deliver on this promise, we'll reimburse you for your next month's premium for that car.
To qualify for Xpress Repairs:
- The damage to your car must be non-structural.
- Damage must be to 2 or fewer parts and 3 or fewer panels of the vehicle.
- The damage must be accidental and collision-related.
- It should cost less than R15 000 to repair.
- The vehicle should not have been towed.
- You must have at least 3 months of cover, up-to-date premiums and a valid driver's licence.
If you need help in a vehicle or household emergency, contact Discovery 911 on 0860 999 911.
Our call centre is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Some of the emergency services we offer:
- Emergency electricity, plumbing and locksmith services
- Emergency home security such as security guards
- Accommodation if you've been a victim of theft or home invasion
- Emergency roadside assistance such as towing or jumpstarting a vehicle
- Help if you need directions
- Someone to keep in regular contact with you when you're driving long distances, to make sure you safely arrive at your destination.