Insurance is there to protect us financially against unforeseen circumstances.
Planning a funeral and adjusting to life when a loved one dies are some of the hardest things to face. While these costs differ for adults and children and can vary considering cultural and religious beliefs, it is estimated that funerals cost anything between R6 000 and R50 000. With a Discovery Life Funeral Plan, you’ll have enough for these costs and additional financial support.
A funeral plan is there to give you immediate and short-term financial safety
Keep in mind that a funeral policy is not the right type of cover if you want to provide for your family over a longer period. Still, making provision for these costs will go a long way to support them in a difficult time. Here we outline the funeral cover available through Discovery Life – developed to meet immediate needs and to give added support where you may need it.
Who can you cover and how much will the policy pay?
You can include your immediate and extended family members on your Discovery Life Funeral Plan. Each insured member of your family will have the following ranges of cover amounts available for funeral-related costs:
- Between R10 000 and R60 000 for you and your spouse
- Between R10 000 and R20 000 for parents and extended family members
- Between R3 000 and R15 000 for children.
When is the payment made?
As soon as the necessary paperwork reaches Discovery Life, payment will be made in 24 hours. This payment will include the policy amount and the extra benefits included in the Plan.
Extra financial benefits and cover on a Discovery Life Funeral Plan
Over and above the lump sum, benefits include:
- Double payment of the policy amount when a policyholder or spouse passes away in an accident. For example, if you have cover for R20 000, you will get R40 000.
- If the main policyholder passes away, the premiums for immediate family’s funeral cover will be paid for one year (when a spouse is younger than 65).
- A cash payment of up to R8 100 when the policyholder or spouse passes away to help pay for food, school fees or other living costs.
- A memorial benefit of R5 000 for a gravestone and unveiling.
- Automatic cover for babies for three months. A lump-sum payment will be made in case of still birth or death of a baby in the first three months after birth.
PayBack of premiums
When you have a Classic Discovery Funeral Plan, you will also get some of your premiums back. This amount depends on how long you have the policy. After two years, you will receive 10% in PayBack. After three years, it will be 15% and after that it will be 17.5% at the end of every year.
Read more about the Discovery Life Funeral Plan and get cover from R53 a month. The monthly premium depends on the number of people you want to insure. You can speak to a financial adviser about the Classic and Essential Funeral Plan or get a Funeral Plan quote here.
Discovery Life Limited. Registration number 1966/003901/06, is a registered long-term insurer, and an authorised financial services and registered credit provider, NCR Reg No. NCRCP3555. Product rules, terms and conditions apply. The Discovery Funeral Plan is administered by Phakama Administration Services (Pty) Ltd an authorised financial services provider with FSP number 1473.