Before becoming a mom, I didn’t know much about car seats. I knew you needed one for a baby but aside from that I was clueless.
Eight months into my pregnancy, I took a drive to the nearest baby store. Truthfully, I had a budget and I couldn’t go over it. I asked the sales person what I needed, made sure I had enough money, paid and walked out. Once my daughter was 12 months old, weighing a tiny 11 kg, I put her in a forward-facing car seat. I gathered she had grown out of her infant car seat and she was big enough now to be in the next stage up and surely, big enough to face forward.
Starting work at Born Fabulous changed my life
I left my job working in logistics when my daughter was 16 months old and joined Born Fabulous. Not only did my life change in the career sense, but my daughter’s life changed too. On my second day working at Born Fabulous, I was asked to watch a few videos, start learning about different brands, the products available and get to know what the company did and why.
I started working down the list. BeSafe was next. Car seats. I knew this one, I thought. After all, I used one daily.
In a moment, everything I thought I knew about car seats changed:
- There is more than just an infant (group 0+) car seat. You also got car seats for toddlers and children.
- You can protect your baby from day one with a pregnancy seat belt and should deactivate the airbag if you place your child on the front passenger seat.
- Winter jackets should be taken off before placing a child in a car seat.
- Second-hand car seats need to be assessed for any damage and if your car seat has been in an accident, it needs to be replaced.
- Rear-facing car seats are recommended to be used as long as possible: up until age four. Children should be in an appropriate car seat up till the age of 12.
- You have seat belt and ISOFIX base options.
- There are crash test safety ratings and extended rear-facing car seats available.
- Choosing a car has everything to do with the weight and height of a child.
- The straps of a car seat need to be as tight and secured as possible, and the headrest of a car chair should be adjusted regularly to make sure your child is protected.
Changing a car seat for the best
The information available on car seats carried on for what seemed like weeks. Video after video, page after page, I read it all. My mind was completely blown. How had I got it so wrong? I went back to the team with tears. But their reaction was the opposite of what I anticipated: I had made a mistake, yes, but I could change that.
I changed my daughter’s car seat to a rear-facing one that was correct for her height and weight. I promised myself that I will continue to read up about car seat safety and joined support groups on Facebook. There I quickly learned that there are other moms out there just like me who didn’t have the correct knowledge about car seats.
I also learnt that many moms can’t afford car seats but there are organisations that can help. If you would like to know more, read about car seat safety on www.besafe.com or visit a BeSafe retailer.
Discovery Insure clients with Vitality Drive, could get up to 25% off the purchase price of a car seat for their child every year, based on their driving behaviour.
Your phone can now talk to us if you can’t
With Discovery Insure’s panic button, your phone can talk to us if you find yourself in danger and need help fast. Press your Android smartphone’s power button at least five times in quick succession to alert us if you find yourself in an emergency situation. We’ll be able to track exactly where your vehicle is and send a response team to help.
Discovery Insure's Impact Alert sends help when you need it most
Wish you had the technology to call for help when you most need it? Discovery Insure’s Impact Alert feature can detect when you’ve been in an accident. If we can’t get hold of you immediately, we’ll send emergency assistance to your location, while our Vehicle panic button can be used to alert emergency services when you’re in your car and need help.
It's September, which means it's Child Passenger Safety month in South Africa. Unfortunately, one of the realities of caring for yourself and your passengers on the road is learning how best to respond in the event of a hijacking. Clue yourself up here.
With Discovery Insure, clients can be assured that their vehicles have an added layer of security. Discovery Insure client, Johan de Wet, discovered this when he set off for the Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge after months of training.
South African roads are among the most dangerous in the world, with a road death toll of 22.5 per 100 000 people. The Vitality Open wants to help change that. Here’s how you can get on board – and get rewarded for driving safely.