World Cup or morning cuppa – whatever your reason is for running, here are five handy tips from a Vitality fitness expert to help you get a morning routine going! #VRWC
We all know that fitting exercise into your day rarely works when it’s a vague plan to ‘see how the day pans out’ and ‘take it from there’. Once the day gets well and truly underway, your schedule fills up naturally and hours later, you go to bed feeling like you should have made time. So even if you don’t think you’re ‘a morning person’, this is why getting your exercise done first thing can be ideal.
Discovery Vitality biokineticist Mari Leach offers these three reasons to motivate you:
- Exercise boosts your metabolism
A study that looked at the effects of a 45-minute vigorous intensity exercise session showed a significant elevation in post-exercise energy consumption that could last for up to 14 hours. This means that by putting in a solid exercise session in the morning, you'll burn more kilojoules throughout your day – which can help you lose weight faster.
- Exercise can help develop consistency and self-discipline
Scheduling an exercise session in the afternoon or evening makes it easier to procrastinate or cancel entirely; your day can fill up quickly and other priorities take preference. When you work out in the morning, you prioritise your health, and exercise becomes one less thing on your to-do list that day.
- Exercise helps to lower stress and anxiety
Exercise can lift your spirits. When you start exerting yourself, your body releases hormones such as serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. These help to regulate your mood, energy, motivation and attention. Exercise also releases endorphins, which help relieve pain, stress and anxiety.
5 tips to get a morning exercise routine going
- It's obvious – but go to bed earlier. Lying in bed isn't good enough if you're still watching or reading something, even if your blue light filter is on. Ensure your bedroom is as dark and quiet as you can manage, try clear your mind, and take a few deep, full breaths to help you drift off faster.
- Set out your exercise clothes the night before to make thigs easier and faster in the morning.
- Don't snooze. Position your alarm on the other side of the room, forcing you to get up from bed to switch it off. When it wakes you, don't lie there debating whether or not to get up - the less you think about it, the better! Just heave yourself up and go - you'll feel much better afterwards.
- Remember to do a proper warm-up at the start of your morning training session as your body temperature will be lower than in the afternoon.
- Make your morning session something fun – like walking your dog, catching up with a buddy over a training or, on weekends, doing a parkrun or myrun with your entire family.
Give a morning routine a shot for just three months and surprise yourself with how quickly it becomes a happy norm. As author Brian Tracy once said, "You can make excuses, or you can make progress" – so resolve to make progress by setting that alarm! If you’re still looking for motivation to get moving, why not join the Vitality Running World Cup?
Your morning runs could help SA reach the #VRWC finals!
The Vitality Running World Cup (VRWC) is an annual free-to-enter, knockout, global running competition that gives everyone the chance to represent their country for the tile of Vitality Running World Cup Champions. Taking place from March 2020, the VRWC is open to everyone over 13 around the world, whatever your fitness level.
- To sign up, go to www.runningworldcup.com.
- Link an approved fitness app or fitness device to your profile.
- Join in teams or build your running tribe.
- Run or jog at least 3km within 30 minutes to run for your country to qualify and earn yourself a goody bag with over $100 worth of surprises and discounts!
You don’t need to be a Discovery client or Vitality member to join. The VRWC is about mass participation and everyone is welcome – so sign up to start your mornings with national pride by running for SA this year!
Are you running enthusiast, or keen to become one?
Team Vitality is South Africa's most popular running and cycling club, and it can help you get fit, save money and connect with like-minded people. Join Team Vitality and get 50% cash back on registration entry fees for selected events.
You'll also receive a great Team Vitality starter pack with race gear and vouchers worth over R1 000. Plus you'll have access to our VIP hospitality at certain events on the Team Vitality race calendar!
Get into gear by signing up today.
Enjoy getting active in a variety of ways with Vitality
Did you know that people of all ages and fitness levels can participate in a Walk, run, cycle, swim, golf, race ... Vitality offers you many ways to get fit. Join a health club, link a fitness device to track your activity, take part in race events and join Team Vitality, our running and cycling club. Like to hit the gym? Save up to 75% on your monthly gym fees, or head outdoor and earn points for walks and runs.
From social media to Skype chats and self-driving cars, technology may be well known for reducing our need to move, but it can also motivate people to be more physically active. Here’s how.
If we don’t understand how to interpret data in ways that compel us to act, even the most sophisticated of technology is useless. Learn all you need to know about heart rate monitoring here, and how wearable tech can get you fitter.