It may be the holidays, but it's peak season for criminal activity too. Avoid having to look over your shoulder while you're holidaying, by being travel-smart when it comes to your money.
Keep your Discovery Card as safe as your cash and other card safety tips
We call December and the beginning of January the silly season. It's hot, it's the holidays and it's time to relax. Unfortunately, criminals don't take a break from trying to steal your bank cards and money just because you're in holiday mode.
Our top 10 tips for keeping your card safe this holiday season
- You might want to consider changing your PIN before you leave on holiday. Make it difficult to guess your PIN. Choose a PIN that's unique and not easy to guess. Don't use consecutive (1234) or duplicate numbers (0000) or your date of birth.
- If you have more than one card, don't choose the same PIN for all of them.
- Move your money around. Consider keeping your card and money separately, so you don't risk losing it all at once should you have an unfortunate incident.
- We tend to ease our mindset on security while traveling. To prevent card skimming, don't let your card or your technology out of your sight. Card skimming is when someone uses a handheld device to copy your card information. They can then buy items using your card. If your phone is stolen, all your security information goes with it. Make sure you have malware and digital security locks.
- Make sure you get notifications when you use your card, even if you're out of the country. Activate SMS roaming, just for your bank to stay in touch. This not only helps you see how much you've spent, but it's also the quickest way to find out if someone has stolen or copied your card.
- Use websites with secure payment and never disclose your card PIN when you shop online for gifts or holiday gear. Also always remember to log out of shopping websites once you have completed your purchases.
- Make sure your deliveries are legit. You should get an SMS before delivery and a time estimate. Be careful if the delivery time or courier is unexpected.
- Be wary of strange calls, texts or website links that may be attempts to steal your banking info. Double check suspicious messages with your bank or the “sender” who may not be authentic.
- Take those selfies, but be wary about sharing your location (and the fact that you're away from home) on social media.
- Contact us as soon as you realise your card is missing or you notice a suspicious transaction.
Our contact details
Call us on 0800 11 0132 or +27 11 369 1018, 24/7, if you suspect any suspicious activity on your card.
For any questions about your Discovery Card, visit www.discovery.co.za and choose CREDIT CARD or
call us on 0860 11 2273.
It’s time to bank healthier
Discovery Bank is the world's first behavioural bank. Our main goal is to improve your financial health by helping change how you work with your money. Through Vitality Money, you'll learn more about what it means to be financially healthy and you'll get rewarded for managing your money well. Track your progress easily on our app and steadily improve your Vitality Money status. You'll get rewarded as you get financially healthier. How much you get out is up to you.
Join the world's first behavioural bank that motivates and rewards you for banking well
In 2019, Discovery Bank - the world's first behavioural bank - will be available to the South African public. Simply put, it’s a bank that will guide, motivate and reward you for getting financially healthier. Here’s how.
Discovery Bank has done the research, and it boils down to this: If South Africans, as individuals and as a nation, want to move forward socio-economically – we desperately need to reduce our debt and foster a healthier savings culture. Here’s why.
Choosing a financial adviser means choosing someone you can trust to understand you as an individual and help you achieve your long-term financial goals. It is helpful for you to know that financial advisers are required, by law, to meet certain minimum requirements.