Get an online second opinion about your condition and treatment from global medical experts
Discovery Health Medical Scheme offers members value-added healthcare services when it's needed most - like the Cleveland second-opinion service. If you face a life-threatening condition that impacts your quality of life, your specialist may want to collaborate with internationally recognised experts and access a second opinion about your condition and treatment.
We recognise that South African specialists offer exceptional quality of care through their high levels of expertise and knowledge. However, there may be times when patients face life-threatening or life-changing conditions for which treatment may not be well documented, or which require new treatment methods. There may also be times when a patient's healthcare provider would like access to a second opinion to support the chosen course of treatment. In these cases, the expertise that internationally recognised experts, in certain sub-fields of medicine, can provide may be of real value to you and your clinician.
This is why Discovery Health has partnered with Cleveland Clinic, one of the most well-known and respected medical centres in the world, where you and your doctor can get the insights of an international expert specialist on your case. And it's all done online.
You and your specialist can ask for a second opinion
- If you want to consider more treatment options for your diagnosis
- If your condition is not improving
- If you have received different opinions by treating doctors in South Africa.
What the second opinion service with The Clinc by Cleveland Clinic offers you
The service offers a second opinion on the diagnosis and treatment of more than 1 200 conditions in the form of a report. It is an online service that makes it possible for a board-certified medical expert who specialises in your condition to examine all your information and give you and your treating doctor a second opinion.
The report will include:
- A review of your diagnosis (and an updated diagnosis, if applicable)
- Answers to all of your submitted questions
- A review of treatment options and alternatives
- Information about clinical trials (if available)
The second opinion service is especially helpful for conditions that affect your quality of life or that are serious or life-threatening
- Cancer, tumours and blood disorders
- Kidney, urological and digestive diseases
- Heart, valve and lung diseases
- Orthopaedic injuries and diseases
- Pregnancy and childbirth (obstetrics) and gynaecological disorders
- Auto-immune, metabolic and neurological disorders
To help your specialist, our dedicated case manager will handle the entire process for you
We oversee the second-opinion process on your behalf and on behalf of your treating doctor.
The case manager will handle all the interactions between your treating doctor in South Africa and The Clinic by Cleveland Clinic:
- Only your treating doctor can ask for an online second opinion on your behalf.
- Your case manager then sends consent forms which you complete and send back.
- Once your case manager gets your forms, they send the details of your case on to a specialist at The Clinic by Cleveland Clinic.
- The specialist thoroughly evaluates your case. They will send back a detailed second-opinion report with treatment recommendations within about 14 business days (as far as possible).
- The case manager sends the report on to you and your treating doctor. You and your doctor can then discuss the recommendations from The Clinic by Cleveland Clinic physician.
The cost of the service and what Discovery Health Medical Scheme pays
- The cost for an online second opinion from Cleveland Clinic is $565.
- Sometimes, Cleveland will require a pathology review to complete the consultation, which will cost an additional $180.
- If your case is complex and more than one specialist must review your case, and additional $500 will be charged per each additional consultation.
What Discovery Health Medical Scheme pays
- 100% of the cost on the Executive Plan.
- 50% of the cost on other plans. You are required to pay the entire amount upfront and we will pay you back half the cost of the consultation once we receive your report from The Clinic by Cleveland Clinic.
PLEASE NOTE: This payment will not affect your day-to-day benefits.
Get more information
For more information or if you have any questions:
- Go to www.discovery.co.za our Get Help feature
- Ask a question on WhatsApp (save our number 0860 756 756 on your phone and say 'Hi' to start chatting with us 24/7)
Discovery Health Medical Scheme is an independent non-profit entity governed by the Medical Schemes Act, and regulated by the Council for Medical Schemes. It is administered by a separate company, Discovery Health (Pty) Ltd, an authorised financial services provider.
Digital tools allow you to visit your doctor online using DrConnect. Or, if you have basic questions about your membership, you can now Ask Discovery on WhatsApp.
Technology has created many benefits for our lifestyle. Life is easier; you have choices that are best suited for you; and you save costs and valuable time. These benefits of technology are now also changing how we manage our healthcare journey at our fingertips.
Digitisation and artificial intelligence-based innovations have become catalysts to the evolution of the healthcare industry. GP, Dr Sudeshan Govender, describes how digital healthcare tools are increasingly augmenting the doctor-patient relationship.